Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Interface to Coffeescript debugger

```node-inspector``` is the way to start a debugger, along with a script to compile coffee to js. There are several problems with the way things work.

The ideal: I've got a testServer that automatically runs tests when either the code or the test is changed. I'd like the following to happen:
1. If I add a statement, like ```debugger```,  to the code then instead of running the program, it runs it in the debugger.
2. When the debugger runs, instead of going to the first line of code it runs to the statement.

Right now I can't do that. Node inspector either stops on the first line of code or it runs until it gets a USER KILL signal, and then stops on a ```debugger``` statement, or must be stopped manually.

If I use a ```debugger``` statement then every time the statement is hit, the debugger stops.

I could solve this by having my own debugger, and ultimately that might be the way that I want to go.

This issue https://github.com/node-inspector/node-inspector/issues/240 describes how ```node-debug``` might be modified to start the process running as soon as it comes up. It also points to the critical code for debugging.


No comments:

Post a Comment