Monday, June 16, 2014

Ideal Scene, Part I

What I want to produce is part of the World's Most Awesome Development environment.

What would such an environment entail. I wrote a bunch of it up a while ago, and I probably could find it if I searched, but I'm not going to. Instead I'm going to create it newly. And I'm going to try to create it in order.

First: I'd want the project to always be in a known state. That means there are tests, and the tests ae run regularly and there's a visible report of the tests results.

Just passing tests does not tell me where the project is. I need to know how much of the code is being tested. But I don't think that I should have 100% test coverage. Some tests are not worth writing. So there needs to be a way of identifying what parts of an application need to be tested and what parts do not, and then to identify the coverage based on that.

There also needs to be a way to measure the size of the application. SLOC, number of tests, and so on.

Finally, the presentation of this data has to be very straighforward. It has to tell me something that I want to know.

Second: I'd want to know how the project is changing. To that end, I want not just position data, but velocity as well. Are requirements being added now at the same rate as earlier. Are the being added more quickly.

Third: I want my development cycles to be exceptionally short and blindingly fast. Ideally I'd like each line of code to be its own development cycle.

How I get there is another problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment